Volunteer Work with Animals & Environment
If you’re a huge animal and outdoor-lover, then these opportunities are for you. There’s nothing better than doing work that doesn’t feel like work at all!
- Visit a local animal shelter to play, walk, groom, and spend time with their animals.
- Ask veterinarian offices about volunteer opportunities working with animals.
- Complete tasks such as water testing, trail maintenance, and animal management for environmental organizations.
- Participate in a cleanup day at a local beach, trail, waterway, or park.
- Attend other cleanup events that involve planting.
Volunteer Work with Children
Children are one of the biggest categories to volunteer for. From youngsters to special need children, they all would appreciate your time and help more than anything in the world. Make sure to check in with shelters, foster organizations, libraries, and religious organizations to see when they need additional volunteers.
- Host holiday parties or gift giveaways for children in need.
- Volunteer to tutor students if you excel at a subject.
- Become a mentor to a younger student through various organizations.
- Oversee after-school clubs or children’s book groups at your library.
- Volunteer to coach or referee with a youth team.
- Work with special-needs kids through an organization.
- Become a peer counselor at a crisis line for teenagers.
Volunteer Work with Elderly
Many of the elders in facilities don’t receive much attention, visitors, or entertainment. To make their day and yours, head to a senior center and try these easy tasks!
- Drop by regularly to chat with residents who don’t have family or frequent visitors.
- Teach computer skills at a senior center and help with technology.
- Lead activities in reading, crafting, or games.
- If you’re a musician, volunteer to give music lessons or perform at senior organizations.
- Grow flowers and deliver them to nursing homes.
Volunteer Work with Families
Lastly, there are many volunteer activities you and your friends can do for families. To find these, contact a local women’s shelter, department of social services, foster parents group, or religious organizations to volunteer your services.
- Offer to baby-sit for a family in need.
- Serve food at a local shelter.
- Offer to rake leaves, shovel the walkway, or do housework for a family.
- Donate foods, clothes, toys, and goods to shelters, fire departments, foster parent organizations, and hospitals.
Both future employers and colleges will appreciate that you are committed to something you care about, building your resume. In addition, you will boost your own self-esteem along with all of the people you helped this season. So start getting out there and make a difference with these volunteer opportunities!
Share with us the fun volunteer work you do with your friends by tagging us on Instagram @glamandgowns, and Faviana’s Instagram @Faviana_NY, Snapchat @Faviana_NY, and Twitter @FavianaNY. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more fun vlogs @FavianaNYC!