So, you have special night out? Many of you are out shopping for the perfect gown, shoes, hairstyle, and makeup products to complete your perfect night. What you may not be thinking about is all the pictures that are about to be taken and you definitely want your skin to look the healthiest it ever has. So you might be wondering, “How can I make my skin look so great?” Well, the answer is as simple as this; a new makeup trend called Strobing.
What is Strobing?
Strobing is the new contouring. Unlike contouring, strobing is all about highlighting your skin in certain areas of your face which light focuses on. By using the strobing method instead of contouring, you will give your skin that perfect dewy, illuminating, healthy glow for any special occasion.
Step 1: Choosing a Product
The first step in strobing is finding the right highlighter for your skin. Choose a highlighter stick if you use a liquid foundation and go with a powder if you use a pressed or loose powder foundation; it is best to stick with the same consistency. Many of us know how hard it is to find the most effective makeup products on the market so here are just a few, for example:
If you prefer to use a highlighting stick you can use these products:
- Benefit’s Watt’s Up! Cream highlighter: $30
- Sonia Kashuk Chic Luminosity Highlighter Stick: $11
- Maybe you prefer a liquid highlighter like these:
- Kevin Aucoin Celestial Liquid: $52
- Charlotte Tilbury’s ‘Wonderglow’ Instant Soft-Focus Beauty Flash: $55
Some of you may prefer to use an illuminating powder like these:
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed – Champagne Pop: $38
- Nar’s Dual-Intensity Blush – Jubilation: $45
- For oily skin, you should use a shimmery highlighter along with other matte make-up products to avoid the dewy glow from turning into a sweaty look.
Step 2: Where to Apply
Now that you have chosen a highlighter it is time to highlight the areas of your skin necessary to get the strobing effect.
- The first step you need to take in strobing is to cover the bridge of your nose.
- Next, highlight below the lips and also above the lips in your cupid’s bow.
- Then, go over the cheeks with your highlighter. Try to find the highest point on your cheeks for the best result. This should be above your cheekbone but under your eye, and then up to your temples.
- Lastly, you need to blend. The best way to blend your highlighter is to use your fingers for liquid or stick products and a fan brush for powders. Please note that as you are just starting out, it is easier to use your fingers. Blending is an essential step so you don’t go out looking like a disco ball.
Strobing can be used in your everyday makeup routine! Because of its natural looking effect on the skin and quick application, it is both perfect and possible to pull off for any special occasion or just your everyday look. If contouring appears to be a bit too strong of a look, strobing is a great alternative to get that extra definition in the most natural looking way possible. Strobing is a much easier makeup method to complete and it will give your skin an extra illuminating glow. So why not try it and fall in love just like I did!
Now that you have learned the ins and outs of strobing, you can try it out for yourself. Do not get discouraged if your attempt does not turn out perfectly the first time. Set some time aside on the weekends to practice.
I hope that I have helped you in making your evening out as special as possible. Enjoy! Additionally, share with us your strobing looks by tagging us on Instagram @glamandgowns, and Faviana’s Instagram @Faviana, Snapchat @Faviana_NY, and Twitter @FavianaNY. Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more fun vlogs!
To find out how you could become one of our Brand Ambassadors, click here!